Wireless connection

Hello people. I very much love the version 4.10 of Parrot.

I read the community guidelines and have absolutely no idea where to post this but I have to because I read websites, articles and went on Youtube because I did not see the solution to my issue. Sorry to post in the wrong place but…

After the installation, I realised that I cannot connect to a wifi if not by the cable. And I honestly cannot transport a cable everytime I go out. How do I fix it?

Here are additional informations:
I have Parrot 4.10 Mate Desktop(Security). I have installed it from a pendrive (USB). I installed it on a hp windows laptop 64 bit. Parrot is the only thing on my partition (Not dual booted with Windows).

Please help a student out here lol.

PS: The only thing I did with the terminal was updating the system as soon as I installed it. So I am sure I did not break my system. Thank you!!

Please do help me. It is killing me.

1 Like

This post needs more information to become answerable. What wifi card/chip? What methods have you tried (commands and errors/logs)? What do you mean you cannot connect to wifi except by cable (do you mean ethernet)?

1 Like

I think i have the same problem, no wifi but ethernet works well. I tried the commands for installing wireless drivers:
-sudo apt-get update
-sudo apt install git build-essential dkms
-git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
and what i see next is
-remote: Repository not found.
-fatal: repository ‘https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git/’ not found
I’m just one day old on the os. Please help us

start with replying with output from:

inxi -N

To show us current network cards/driver. If the driver is already installed (many are detected automatically by Parrot), you can setup your network connection. Otherwise be sure to get the one needed by your kernel version.

1 Like

Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
Device-2: Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter driver: N/A

i guess they are installed already

Looks like your ethernet driver is installed.

For Kernel 5+ rtl8723de try:

Make sure to first install kernel headers for your kernel version.

2 Likes

It worked now. Thank you so much @RightToPrivacy

1 Like

Sorry I did not answer, I did not receive any notifications. Also…what is the command to write to write for the github code? What do I write in my terminal?

what is the command to write to write for the github code? What do I write in my terminal?

Very welcome :slight_smile:

Your problem is likely different (do not install his driver). We still haven’t received any information that would help debug your problem (see my first reply to you @Armel_Michel). My driver suggestion was for the other poster who did provide the information needed.

To get card/driver status/information:

inxi -N

After getting that information see if there is a driver listed as installed next to your wireless card. If no driver is listed, do a google/duckduckgo search for linux drivers for that exact model/number. Then follow driver instructions.

If that doesn’t work, share more details on the problem to help debug it.

Hey hey. Sorry, I had to uninstall Parrot for a while since I had to focus on school (cause this driver thing is time consuming).

Anyway, here is what I see when I do the command inxi -N :
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit
Ethernet
driver: r8169
Device-2: Realtek RTL8723DE 802.11b/g/n PCIe Adapter
driver: N/A
Device-3: Realtek 802.11n WLAN Adapter type: USB
driver: btusb

Well, I just entered the command and at this moment, I am using a wired connection from my phone. Please, what do I do now ?

See where it says driver: N/A

This means you do not have a driver for it installed for the device. Finding this out is your first step.

Looks like you guys both have the 8723de card. This means smlinux will work.

The instructions for it are right on the driver page: GitHub - smlinux/rtl8723de: Realtek RTL8723DE module for Linux

If you have further problems take a look at this video I made recently to help users get their wifi card/driver installed and working: https://youtu.be/nehj6MJ4-hg

The video will tell you what you need to know to find and setup the right driver. :+1:

I have watched the video cause I am not familiar yet with Github and…

THANK YOU SO GODDAMN MUCH!!! I have been trying to solve this since October 2020. God knows how many videos I have watched about that and how many forums I have visited. It is not much but you have my whole goddamn gratitude. I am about to cry here. Sorry for the cussing, I am just so freaking happy!!!

1 Like

Great! Very happy to hear it worked for you! I know how great a feeling it is after fixing a long time hardware problem, seeing it working. :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.