Zenmap Installation Error

Hello, I am new to this community and linux distros. I noticed that in Parrot OS there is no zenmap, i know i could use nmap but i feel like zenmap would be a more comfortable way of learning nmap. As i meantioned there was no zenmap as i first installed “Parrot Secuirity 4.9 MATE ISO (default)” to my VM through iso install. When i first booted Parrot I did apt update and upgrade. When I noticed that there is no zenmap i tried to installing by sudo apt-get install zenmap but I got this message:

$sudo apt-get install zenmap
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Package zenmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
ndiff

E: Package ‘zenmap’ has no installation candidate

I didn’t quite understand what it meant and I tried to fix this by uninstalling nmap and reinstalling it through apt-get, but it has not worked out for me

I also made a github repository and tried to download and install nmap with zenmap through there but my installation failed for some reason, as i said im not too used to linux distros. I hope someone could help me out to install zenmap. Thanks.

Zenmap was for Python2. Python3 is the new standard I believe there is work going on right now to port Zenmap to python 3.

Welcome to the forums & hang in there :wink:

Hey there. @Sai326
I found a solution to this.

I’m using ParrotSec and I used the following steps to install Zenmap successfully on my VM.

I was receiving your same error when trying to install Zenmap via the Parrot Konsole:

# apt-get install zenmap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package zenmap is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  ndiff

SOLUTION

The following commands are run WITHOUT the quotes (") and brackets (<>).

• Run as root (su) in your terminal

• Run “apt-get update”

• Run “apt-get install alien”

• Go to your downloads folder cd Downloads

• Run “sudo alien < name of downloaded package.rpm >”

You should now see a file in your downloads folder with a file ending in “.deb”.
I double clicked on this and a window came up with an install button in the top right hand corner.
Once installed, then go to your application launcher and search for “Zenmap”.
Launch it and the GUI should now open and you can use it.

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.