Guided Partitioning Not Creating a Swap Partition

Briefly describe your issue below:

Hey all. Trying to install Parrot Security 4.7 alongside Windows 10 on my X1 Carbon Gen4 (latest BIOS). I’ve dual-booted many nix distros on this laptop before without issue. This time, however (I haven’t dual-booted on this specific laptop in 6+ months), whenever I get to the partitioning section, when I select Guided Partitioning - Use Largest Continuous Free Space, it creates the partitions in the space I allocated for it but it doesn’t create a swap partition! I thought this was odd, so I tried Kali, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, PopOS, etc… and all of them are doing the same thing. All guided partitioning options are not creating a swap partition. I’m so confused. Need some help fixing the issue or help just installing manually (the option for primary/logical partition is also non-existent).

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

Parrot Security 4.7 (x64).

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Debian Standard and Debian GTK.

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

Yes.

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

N/A.

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

N/A.

1 Like

Last time i install Parrot, it created SWAP partition for me. BTRFS format, full disk encryption. I didn’t try other option. Only 4.6 has that problem.
IMO, with the spec (i saw it on google) you don’t really need swap parittion. I am using a PC with no SWAP partition and everything is okay for me.
My laptop created 16GB swap partition and well i dont happy with it but i can’t remove it because of full disk encryption format.

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s either something to do with the new Linux kernel/debian installer version or the newest BIOS on the laptop. As I said, every Debian distro I tried to install it did the exact same thing; it just wouldn’t create a swap partition. Previously, when dual booting/installing using guided partitioning - all files largest continuous free space, etc. it would create a swap partition. I might try to roll the BIOS back and try, or try Kali 2018.2 which I think is the last distro I dual booted on this. Swap partitions aren’t mandatory but they’re definitely useful and if you have the space I don’t see why you would want an install without one. Technically I guess I could shrink the main partition once booted up in GParted and create a swap partition. We’ll see, I’ll play around with it a bit today.

1 Like

I asked our leader. The non-encryption partition swap was disabled. We are planing for the swapless layout.
Full disk encyption still makes swap partition for me.
p/s: installation without uefi (legacy bios) still triggers the swap partition creation iirc (from Palinuro)

1 Like

Thanks for passing along the information to your main dev and getting an answer for me/us. Curious as to why you’re planning to move away from swap partitions for non-encrypted disks. Anyway, I’ll do a guided, swapless install and test it out for a few hours with my general workload then reinstall using full disk encryption with swap and test it out. I’ll try to see if I notice any major differences.

1 Like

From Palinuro’s point of view, swap should be removed on both encrypted and non-encrypted because it makes SSD work more → destroy SSD.

Ah ok, that does make sense in some ways. Thanks for the response!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.