No sound only click in headphones

– NO SOUND and I tried everything but I always have this CLICK sound in my headphones when I start a video like it wanted to generate a sound but nothing… only click. –

• **** Parrot Security version 5.0.1*

There was alredy a post about no sound(No sound after full-upgrade - #18 by solo.nepal) and how this method fixed it:
networking - Sound not working on Ubuntu - Ask Ubuntu

and so it did nothing for me:

then I tried something with alsamixer and nothing:

and yeah the first should have worked but nothing worked in the end.

Please help :smiley:

this may sound silly to some, but with the headphones plugged in open your sound settings, check they have been recognise and are enabled, and the volume is on, sometimes the system fails to automatically recognise and enable them

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
You mean this: ?

that looks ok to me

can we have an inxi report please [see if we can spot something wrong there,], inxi -A

and just a technical point from an old singer, never have your output volume over 98% as it causes distortion of the sound

1 Like

yeah the volume shouldnt be above 100 :sweat_smile:

this is an inxi report:

looks ok, but will have another think in the morning, time for this ancient wizard to rest his bones

1 Like

yeah im going to bed too :smiley:
gn

This may or may not be helpful (or even relevant), but I had an eerily similar problem with Ubuntu several months ago. After an update, starting any video or audio file or stream would result in nothing but a click from my speakers/head phone. The problem turned out to be traceable to missing or defective support for my motherboard’s Realtek ALC4080 chipset in several kernel versions. Booting an older kernel solved the problem, which was also fully resolved with an upgrade to the latest LTS version of Ubuntu.

1 Like

Booted up my Parrot drive I have the same sound set up as your inxi
plugged in my studio cans and it worked perfectly, off to do some more investigations

1 Like

Thanks for the reply
So I should be able to install older kernel with this?
And what disadvantages can it have that I will not be using newest version of kernel?

I am not in favour of kernel regression unless you are running ancient kit or a Frankenstein build,
I dont know what your running [I should have asked earlier]
MSI motherboards are known to be problematic with Linux .
If its a laptop you may have a switching problem caused by the BIOS, [save all work ,press and hold down power button for 60 seconds and then re-boot]
there may be a missing/damaged package in the audio drivers try [ From terminal run $ sudo apt-get update then run $ sudo apt-get update --fix-missing]
if neither of these work then let me know and i will do some more digging

morning, if the above have not worked then we are into forcing. you could try the following

Firstl kill pulseaudio:
pulseaudio -k

your inxi shows your laptop uses snd_hda_intel: run the following command: [you can copy and paste to terminal]

echo “options snd-hda-intel model=generic” | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

now SHUT DOWN and re-start the laptop [do not re-boot]

So I have a computer not laptop and this is my motherboard:

And I already updated everything I think, this is what i got:

and I dont have ancient kit I have normal 64-bit single boot Parrot OS

OK then try my last post It should work on desktops as well as lappies, [fingers crossed]
nice kit by the way.

then I dont know if its important but when my pc is starting this what it always show:

wait :DDD
SHUT DOWN mean this:

but then :smiley: re-start the laptop mean that when I shut it down I click start button normally on the tower no ? :smiley:

And should my alsa-base.conf look like this ? Cause I think it maybe shouldnt :smiley:

thats the normal grub page you get it with nearly all Linux distributions

will it let you choose option 4

So I edited it so that its like this:

shut down the pc then started it and nothing and the click in my headphones is no longer even there thats probably because we killed the pulseaudio no ?