Parrot Operating System Development Discussion

@RedRuby , I sometimes find few Parrot Pentesting tools not well documented. Can we start making a documentation that will contain the description & usage example of tools on a sub-domain like tools.parrotsec.org ? I am just proposing the idea.
I believe this thriving Parrot community is ready to contribute.

3 Likes

yes Ready to develop a system

xfce for parrot security
and update less so we find less bug ppl use kali becoz of parrot bugs
also dont add too much bloat while making it more user friendly pls
becoz its meant to be lightweight and lightning fast

1 Like

There is XFCE for ParrotOS, but I find it too buggy to use.

What bug did you find?

1 Like

Not only “not well documented” but not well maintained as well.
As you can see parrot started as a personal project then it has been maintained by a very very small team. For now the team is still small and the tool list is huge. Most of tools are forked from Kali / Debian. We have worked on this list but we have never completed it. It is a big deal and we need experts in pentest / forensics to help us make it be good.
That also mean it is not just about the list of tools but how we can maintain, update them and optimize the preinstalled list. I also want to create new menu with the new list so it can make sense.
And while we are still pending this very important task, Kali announces they are doing the same thing. LuL

2 Likes

Gnome store is a great application for this. Maybe flatpak and other stores are good to go. Developing a GUI application on Linux is never an easy task. It sounds great at first place but when you actually touch the code you’ll see problems. At first it is about choosing framework: QT/GTK or easier things like Electron but then you’ll see how bad performance is for your code or how bad the code acts for single thread, manage objects, 

After a while developing GUI for AnonSurf, I learned how to swear in English very well.

2 Likes

@dmknght , feel free to inform me if I can be of any use to contribute - I’d be happy to contribute.

1 Like

Please send an email to [email protected]

1 Like

New update (5.14) has broke my display settings, they just cant see any config of brightness and etc. its says Unknown Display. But when i launch 5.10 Version. All is Okay!

Sorry for the late reply. I’m not using Parrot OS anymore, and I’m currently using Debian11 which is still buggy, but it’s a lot more stable. I can’t remember what broke, but I think it was an unfixable sudo problem. The newer ParrotOS has a little bit of sudo problem, but it was easily fixed. Also, there was a mirror problem, and the bug in XFCE its self. Many people pointed out that I had an AMD 2500U APU which is why I got unstable experience on Debian based distributions. AMD 2500U driver is not fully supported.

Anyhow, I’m excited for the new LTS version. If it’s stable enough not to get some random crash every 1 minute, then I’ll be switching back. :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You have to remove the custom key binding for the terminal. The original key binding is alrady implemented. I.E. it was a duplicated shortcut.

I’m using Nord theme.

fixing the fde in Home

replace installer calamares (since it cannot create partitions in lvms)

As the new guy, Parrot has become the go-to OS for me and has taught me a lot about Linux. I’ve been wandering the narrow corridors of respinning an OS for the purposes of reinstalling to another computer entirely, not necessarily just “cloning” to another drive (I have offline computers that I will never connect for data protection, sadly those are still windows computers). I fail to find a good option for parrot it seems. I tried systemback because it has an install option, but it’s no longer supported. I tried Linux live kit and was able to respin, but I ended up with no GUI for whatever reason and I’m still too new for understanding why. I’m not even sure if linux live kit lets you install to another computer. Other tools I’ve looked at:
Linux Respin - site is no longer hosted
Remastersys - discontinued
Clonezilla - Does this work? I couldn’t find anything about whether or not it installs a custom os
Live Magic - seems no longer supporter
Youtuber ezNIX respin tool ( uses live-build i think)- Haven’t tried it yet, seems to be pretty involved and maybe not entirely compatible?

The rest seem to be OS specific and any questions about this topic either tend to be magnetic to the search engine dominant Ubuntu, or simply several years in the past. The quest continues however. I don’t want to use any other OS so I figured I’d mention it here. It would be cool to see some kind of integrated respin tool so we can customize, add/remove some things and install to other computers.

I had a previous quest to encrypt the livebooting USB of parrotsec so it wouldn’t boot without a password just like parrot wouldn’t boot without a password when it’s installed to a drive.
I don’t know if that’s even possible, I got lost in the google jungle on that one. Maybe that’s something interesting for future versions.
Thanks.

1 Like

My request to contribute is still pending (on GitLab) - would you check if can be allowed to add documents?

Do you want an encrypted bootable Parrot installer on USB, or an encrypted persistent (upgradable) bootable USB. It sounds like the former, but the later is possible and easy to make.

hello, i feel my parrot os booting time takes long now after new boot loading screen :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:
can we just keep an option to change it like before?
the new boot loading image looks super classy tho :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi,
This is about “Check for update” GUI. in the popup window of “show upgradable” (popup window name is “upgradable packages”) doesn’t have a close button. And the window is small.
Screenshot at 2022-03-03 08-35-51

You can just right click on the title and then close it, perhaps?