Problem installing tor

My apologies for submitting a post before this that was incomplete. This is my first time posting so I may get some things wrong.

** ISO information **

Version: 4.10
Desktop Environment: Mate
Edition: Security 

2. If you have this problem after fresh installation:

1. How did you create USB bootable?

I used iso and have Parrot installed as a standalone VM in qubes.

2. How did you install OS?
    As standalone VM in qubes.

Did you try searching info about this issue on search engine? Please write No or any URL to this issue bellow

Yes. But could not find the answer.

4. How did you get this error? Are there any steps to procedure it?

I installed Parrot and downloaded Tor via the drop down menu >tor browser

In other versions of Parrot I’ve never had luck here and have installed tor manually, but with this new version of Parrot it downloaded and verified the signature.

Then using the launcher it gives me the option to install tor but it doesn’t install.

So I assume that tor has downloaded and been verified?

Can someone tell me how I go about installing tor?

I’ve probably violated a million rules here. If I don’t get this posted I’ll go back to manually downloading tor and copy paste it in and install from there.

I’ve been using Parrot now for three versions in qubes and it works flawlessly. This tor glitch is the only issue I’ve ever had. I love the distro!!

But if someone can help me I’d be very appreciative.

1. It is Tor browser. It is not Tor.
  2. It is answered in community. Please search before ask.

I did search and it turned up things not related to my problem.

Sure, I can download tor (browser) separately and install it which is what I have done with all Parrot versions up until 4.10. However for first time in 4.10 it downloaded tor after I select tor in the menu. It verifies it, then the box closes. I launch the updater, click on install, but nothing happens. That’s it. Prior to 4.10 this method has never worked.

If you can find a solution to that problem in here then you beat me.

Its probably easier to do it as I always have. I dont get a welcoming vibe here for only I think my second or third post.

Fresh 4.10 install then full upgrade. So i’m the dev then i have no bug?

I don’t know what else I can say. For the last two versions, prior to 4.10 I have not been able to install Tor at all from the drop down menu in Parrot that has the two options of Tor Browser and Tor updater/launcher. I don’t remember the exact error messages that I was getting but from memory they were similar to those being reported by others in the forums. I just downloaded Tor manually and installed from there, made my own link to it and didn’t worry about the Parrot options for Tor.

So then comes 4.10. This time, as I said, I can click on Tor in the menu (as I did above), but this time it downloads Tor and verifies the signature. It never got this far with the other versions. But it is not installed at this point. I launch the updater/launcher where there is a button to install Tor, clicking this does not install it for me. So I have a system where it appears that Tor has been downloaded and verified, but it doesn’t install.

That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. I will most likely just what I’ve done in the past and download, verify and install myself. I will say that, aside from this issue, Parrot has no bugs for me. It works perfectly and has been a welcome improvement from Kodachi that I dabbled with for a couple of versions.

Hello Brad,

There is an issue with Tor browser 10 and tor-browser launcher. Fix in progress it looks like.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll wait and see what the fix does. I’ve done it manually anyway which is no big deal. But at least that does indicate an issue with the process. Thanks.

https://community.parrotsec.org/t/tor-browser-version-10-has-broken-torbrowser-launcher/15560

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.