Rock64 Install & Window Manager (ARM64)

Briefly describe your issue below:
Can’t get GUI/Window Manager/X working after using alternate install script on a Debian-Stretch image. I’d like to get LightDM and Mate running like the default amd64 Parrot builds.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
4.6 ARM64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental) Parrot alternate install script on supported Debian stretch image from Rock64’s supported OS page: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCK64_Software_Release#Debian_Stretch

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
RPI GUI
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/need-help-booting-up/6679

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
StartX Server Terminated with error (1)
Xinit: giving update
Xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
Xinit: server error

1 Like

dear @MenacingM
i believe there currently isn’t a working parrot 4.6 ARM64 image
i would like to know what install script you ran because i cant seem to find one

You can find the ARM image(s) here: https://download.parrotsec.org/parrot/iso/arm/
The ARM64 image(s) are headless parrotsec-headless-arm64-20190310.tar.xz and standard parrotsec-standard-arm64-20190310.tar.xz.

The problem is that while there are ARMHF & ARM64/AARCH64 images available, you need to compile the kernel, prepare rootfs and include the bootloader uboot files/configs for each ARM platform in order for it to post.

Here what I did to get what I’ve got working so far:

• Run all platform updates

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

• wget, chmod a+x and run the alternate install script parrot-install.sh that would typically be used for deploying Parrot on VPS or Cloud instances.

I used the Full Install option.

It worked without much fuss on the RockPro64. On the Rock64 I had to edit a config file to get the Window Manager to load and it seemed like the driver/graphics acceleration needed work as it was pretty choppy.

The main issue after getting the Desktop Manager and Mate running was getting the Parrot Menus, Login, etc working as the experience was more along a baseline Mate install.

So this was an MVP for me but it demonstrated that the hardware was capable for being a low cost Penbox. So now, after decades of experience with x86, I’m learning about ARM SoCs and SBCs. I’m still very early in my education so I’m going to leverage some of the collective brainpower from our team @ GoVanguard to try to build ParrotSec releases for the Rock64 (RK3328- QuadCore Cortex-A53 + Dual-core Mali-450MP2 GPU) SBCs [specifically the 4GB of RAM version R4G) and the RockPro64 (RK3389 - Dual-core Cortex-A72 & Quad-Core Cortex-A53 + Mali-T860MP4 GPU). Wish us luck!

Parrot team, any resources or insight you can provide us would be most welcome!

-Mahdi

FYI to get video working on the Rock64 you have to do the following:

cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
mv 20-armsoc.conf 20-armsoc.conf-requires_version_23

mv 20-modesetting.conf.bak 20-modesetting.conf

Were some other packages I installed, if not working for anyone reply and I’ll add them.

Source: [solved] Unable to start X

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.