Shutdown/suspend problem

Hi !

I’m Corentin, and I really need your help.
I just change my linux distribution for Parrot (because it’s the best), in my Lenovo laptop it works so good, no problem. I passed it like 1 week ago on my other laptop and I have a lot of bug… I can’t launch the installation driver of my graphic card (gtx 1050 TI), i can’t shutdown my laptop (I have to force it, he just freeze after I click on the shutdown button on the window) and when I just close my laptop, he just continue running and never suspend.
Please help me

Parrot GNU/Linux 4.4 (amd64)

Flash drive usb, I download the ISO file on your website and use “sudo dd if=”

No other system on my laptop

In root terminal type
poweroff
And than Cover laptop

this doesnt solve anything and only forces a power down. try Balena Etcher for the USB writing and you probably need to configure your BIOS settings and check for updates, Lenovos BIOS has to allow for USB boot etc.

I try the command in the root terminal, same problem, freeze of the screen after I presse enter…
I was on ubuntu before Parrot and I didn’t have any problems to shutdown or something, I can try to reboot my system but I think it’s not the problem, I try this afternoon after the download of Parrot

I try your way, I re install Parrot (in legacy this time), same problem.
I try to start with the nomodeset too and same problem again…

Edit the grub with command line : sudo nano /etc/default/grub in Terminal
or with a text editor as root.
add this : nouveau.modeset=0 nvidia.modeset=0 apparmor=0 to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet”
so the line become :point_right: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“nouveau.modeset=0 nvidia.modeset=0 apparmor=0 quiet”
save by Ctrl X and then press Y , and press ENTER ( when using terminal )
or save the file with the text editor.
run : update-gub in Terminal
shut down and start. It should be OK when trying to shut down, restart or end session again

i think this method disable the nvidia graphic card ( :wink: im not good on linux but it works for me)

No use uefi not legacy. The newer versions have a no acpi boor setting you can select. Always use our docs to know what we recommend doing

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

This commands fixed my shutdown problem and other bugs.

I hope this helps. :grinning:

No , Don’t Use upgrade use:

apt install full-upgrade 

Or

parrot-upgrade

it have same function

I’m also facing same issue since parrrotsec 4.4 :frowning:
My device : Asus X505BP
CPU : AMD A9 9425
GPU : AMD R5 420

Hi, i had the exact same issues, this is because of the nouveau driver. If you disable the driver and properly setup your gpu all these bug will go away. To do that i let you follow a guide i wrote about the install of the nvidia driver. Here is the guide:

https://community.parrotsec.org/t/tuto-install-of-bumblebee-and-drivers/5706

NO, apt upgrade on rolling distribution will break the system.

1 Like

what did this fix for you?

Is it working on AMD gpu?

Probably depends on the model. Have you searched your hw support status on duckduckgo or google?

Setting up primus (0~20150328-7) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.132) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-parrot1-13t-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_vce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_smc.bin for module amdgpu
Processing triggers for systemd (240-5) ...
Configuring sandbox profiles....
Sandbox profiles updated!

What did you installed exactly ?

primus

It also showed-up When I run system upgrade