Some text caracters are displayed as hex

I have recently installed installed Parrot and I really like the look and feel.

So far everything works great, the only thing that I can’t seem to solve or find is why in some places text is displayed as blocks of hex code. I have tried to change my text font and size, but I have not found any solution. I tried to look online and in this forum, but so far I haven’t been able to find anything.

I would really appreciate any help.
I’ve added a screenshot that clearly shows what I’m trying to explain.

Thank you!

Gimp|690x387

That are emojis or texts?

That are not emojis, it are square blocks with a HEX code in it - the code all starts with 10 and then a different set of hex characters in the second line.
If I make the font really small the blocks change from square to a long rectangle with the four hex characters in line. So it is no fixed character like a emoji that always has the same shape. And when I look at the seconds, where the clock is displayed the hex code in the character changes every second:
1040 = 0 to 1049 = 9

I have searched a lot on the internet/this forum and couldn’t find someone with the same problem.
But just now there is an other topic with exactly the same issue: Font Render problem

I did a clean install of parrot, as a second OS in dual boot with windows 10.
This is the version I’m running:
NAME=“Parrot GNU/Linux”
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
VERSION=“4.8”

I did a full update yesterday evening and the issue still exist.

The strange thing is that it is only in some places. I have added some more screenshots.

I’m quite new to the GUI version of linux, I have only worked with servers before.
Thanks a lot.

calendar
gimpmenu
menu

Yes thats exactly what is said its something related to the applications that fallback to gtk system the UI is somehow not able to render the fonts correctly or maybe not able to find the fonts at all thats why these hexes are appearing it happened after an update that was 350 mb something 2 days ago so far i have tried to clear the font cache but didnt worked not ill try to copy the font files from the live cd to /etc/fonts to see if will work or not

Thread unlisted since there are so many double postings on this today. It may be a bug in a font. @Kniiiip be sure to search before creating new double topics: there were multiple threads on this (just now cleaning it up).

Discussion on this topic can be found on the temp pinned thread here:
https://community.parrotlinux.org/t/font-render-problem/12599/13

Hang in there- I have also reported this to bug thread topic so it gets the proper attention.

I will add more if I figure out how to fix it. It may be a missing/mislinked font.

btw what language are you using @Kniiiip ? It may be related. I want to get a consensus. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I have been having this issue since I installed the OS on 20th of April.
I have been searching the internet the following day’s and didn’t find anything, kinda gave up until I’ve had some spare time yesterday to post. Probably in between the last few days some topics were made.

So the info I can give you is that the bug was there in the installer I’ve downloaded on the 20th.

My OS is installed in English, but when I look at my etc/default/locale file there is only one line of text: LANG="my_MM"
I’m not familiar with Parrot, but shouldn’t that be LANG="en_IN.utf8"

When I try to change that line and update-locale it gives me the error: update-locale: Error: invalid locale settings: LANG="en_IN.utf8"

I do live in Belgium, so while installing I have selected a Belgian keyboard and region settings. (I’m not sure it asked me for regional settings) But as language I did choose English.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Here is some more info from my laptop (HP Elitebook Folio 9470m):
┌─[✗]─[knip@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo dumpe2fs /dev/sda5 | grep ‘Filesystem created:’
dumpe2fs 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)
dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda5
┌─[✗]─[knip@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $localectl status
System Locale: LANG=my_MM
VC Keymap: n/a
X11 Layout: be
X11 Model: pc105
┌─[✗]─[knip@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $locale
LANG=my_MM
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE=“my_MM”
LC_NUMERIC=“my_MM”
LC_TIME=“my_MM”
LC_COLLATE=“my_MM”
LC_MONETARY=“my_MM”
LC_MESSAGES=“my_MM”
LC_PAPER=“my_MM”
LC_NAME=“my_MM”
LC_ADDRESS=“my_MM”
LC_TELEPHONE=“my_MM”
LC_MEASUREMENT=“my_MM”
LC_IDENTIFICATION=“my_MM”
LC_ALL=
┌─[knip@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $locale -k LC_TIME
abday=“နွေ;လာ;ဂါ;ဟူး;တေး;သော;နေ”
day=“တနင်္ဂနွေ;တနင်္လာ;အင်္ဂါ;ဗုဒ္ဓဟူး;ကြာသပတေး;သောကြာ;စနေ”
abmon=“ဇန်;ဖေ;မတ်;ဧပြီ;မေ;ဇွန်;ဇူ;ဩ;စက်;အောက်;နို;ဒီ”
mon=“ဇန်နဝါရီ;ဖေဖော်ဝါရီ;မတ်;ဧပြီ;မေ;ဇွန်;ဇူလိုင်;ဩဂုတ်;စက်တင်ဘာ;အောက်တိုဘာ;နိုဝင်ဘာ;ဒီဇင်ဘာ”
am_pm=“နံနက်;ညနေ”
d_t_fmt="%OC%Oy %b %Od %A %OI:%OM:%OS %Op %Z"
d_fmt="%OC%Oy %b %Od %A"
t_fmt="%OI:%OM:%OS %p"
t_fmt_ampm="%OI:%OM:%OS %p"
era=
era_year=""
era_d_fmt=""
alt_digits=“၀၀”;“၀၁”;“၀၂”;“၀၃”;“၀၄”;“၀၅”;“၀၆”;“၀၇”;“၀၈”;“၀၉”;“၁၀”;“၁၁”;“၁၂”;“၁၃”;“၁၄”;“၁၅”;“၁၆”;“၁၇”;“၁၈”;“၁၉”;“၂၀”;“၂၁”;“၂၂”;“၂၃”;“၂၄”;“၂၅”;“၂၆”;“၂၇”;“၂၈”;“၂၉”;“၃၀”;“၃၁”;“၃၂”;“၃၃”;“၃၄”;“၃၅”;“၃၆”;“၃၇”;“၃၈”;“၃၉”;“၄၀”;“၄၁”;“၄၂”;“၄၃”;“၄၄”;“၄၅”;“၄၆”;“၄၇”;“၄၈”;“၄၉”;“၅၀”;“၅၁”;“၅၂”;“၅၃”;“၅၄”;“၅၅”;“၅၆”;“၅၇”;“၅၈”;“၅၉”;“၆၀”;“၆၁”;“၆၂”;“၆၃”;“၆၄”;“၆၅”;“၆၆”;“၆၇”;“၆၈”;“၆၉”;“၇၀”;“၇၁”;“၇၂”;“၇၃”;“၇၄”;“၇၅”;“၇၆”;“၇၇”;“၇၈”;“၇၉”;“၈၀”;“၈၁”;“၈၂”;“၈၃”;“၈၄”;“၈၅”;“၈၆”;“၈၇”;“၈၈”;“၈၉”;“၉၀”;“၉၁”;“၉၂”;“၉၃”;“၉၄”;“၉၅”;“၉၆”;“၉၇”;“၉၈”;“၉၉”
era_d_t_fmt=""
era_t_fmt=""
time-era-num-entries=0
time-era-entries=""
week-ndays=7
week-1stday=19971130
week-1stweek=1
first_weekday=1
first_workday=2
cal_direction=1
timezone=""
date_fmt="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"
time-codeset=“UTF-8”
alt_mon=“ဇန်နဝါရီ;ဖေဖော်ဝါရီ;မတ်;ဧပြီ;မေ;ဇွန်;ဇူလိုင်;ဩဂုတ်;စက်တင်ဘာ;အောက်တိုဘာ;နိုဝင်ဘာ;ဒီဇင်ဘာ”
ab_alt_mon=“ဇန်;ဖေ;မတ်;ဧပြီ;မေ;ဇွန်;ဇူ;ဩ;စက်;အောက်;နို;ဒီ”`

I forgot to add that I did try to change the default font in some other fonts and sizes, but the problem persists.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.