Unable to install ProtonVPN on Home Edition 5.0

*-- I’m trying to set up Proton VPN on a fresh install of Parrot OS Home Edition, following the Debian guide on the Proton VPN site. After downloading and installing the package with GDEBI, this is what I get:

$sudo apt-get install protonvpn

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... Done

Reading state information... Done

E: Unable to locate package protonvpn

Attempts to do the same through dpkg as suggested here also fail:

sudo dpkg -i protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb

dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb': No such file or directory

Any idea what could be going wrong here?

Thanks! --*

Version 5.0

• Logs/Terminal output (use pastebin or similar services):

• Screenshots:

1 Like

These steps hopefully work:

1. Download the deb package from https://protonvpn.com/download/protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb
  2. Click on the deb package just downloaded to install using Parrot OS’s apt package manager
  3. Run: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install protonvpn
1 Like

try
sudo apt install ./protonvpn-stable-release_1.0.1-1_all.deb

1 Like

fyi apt is not meant to install deb packages from your local storage
kindly use dpkg

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! I went ahead and tried to install through dpkg and the package manager, but based on my experience and ProtonVPN’s support, the GUI version of the program doesn’t seem to be supported at the moment. I went ahead and used the instructions here for manual setup with OpenVPN and it’s worked great so far.

1 Like

Looks like the ProtonVPN desktop app is using a 2.x version of Python. Even though you could still install a Py2.x version in Parrot, for security purposes I’m not going to do that. For now, I’ll use the manual method like @michelbresson mentioned

2 Likes
  1. Download the debian (.deb) file from proton vpn
  2. Open Linux Terminal
  3. Type:
    cd Downloads
    sudo apt install ./protonvpn*.deb
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install protonvpn
    Viola!