Unable to install VMware modules

– Please Write here your help request, –
I am unable to run Vmware. The installation runs successfully but when vmware is run it says it needs to compile and load vmnet and vmmon modules. The installation of these modules is failing every time.

• Parrot version in use (if you are not aware of it, open terminal and type cat /etc/os-release | grep VERSION):

VERSION_ID=“5.0”
VERSION=“5.0 (LTS)”
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye

I think this VMware patch via git didn’t recently work for me upon the upgrade to kernel 5.14.

git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git
cd vmware-host-modules
git checkout player-16.0.0
make
sudo make install
sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

For VMware Workstation I had to download the proper, for me w16.1.2-k5.14 zip file to make, install, and start to get the vmnet and vmmon modules working.

Bonjour à tous, je pense que j’ai le même problème et j’ai besoin d’un coup de main :pray:

Hello. I kindly ask you to write in English to make everyone understand your message. Maybe you need to download those modules from VMware.

Parrot OS /5.0.1 ARA
Kernel 5.18.0.14parrot1-amd64
VMWARE Workstation Pro VMware-Workstation-Full-16.2.4-20089737.x86_64.bundle
After Kernel upgrade of course VMWARE Workstation problems with compiling vmmnet and vmmon

Below worked on previous Kernel upgrades but no longer works with this Kernel
Also there’s no /usr/lib/vmware/modules/sources created when I installed Vmware Workstation pro 16.2.4 with this kernel

also i’ve done this in the past but now it’s not working with the new kernel…

git clone GitHub - mkubecek/vmware-host-modules: Patches needed to build VMware (Player and Workstation) host modules against recent kernels
cd vmware-host-modules
git checkout player-16.0.0
make
sudo make install
sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

The last few months I’ve been sticking with the older 5.17 kernel to use VMware.

Looks like mkubecek hasn’t updated his git repo for the 5.18+ kernel, and VMware doesn’t appear to care that their products broke on Linux a number of years ago.

Yes I don’t think he has in regards to his git repo… I’ve already updated to the new kernel… This happens each time I do so but usually I can get a quick fix from mkubecek gitrepo… Not this time. Hopefully soon because Virtual Box is not an option for me… I hate that it doesn’t allow me to use tabs to open each instance of a vm … I will wait apparently…
Thanks for your response…

I’m able to load PRO 16.2.4 on new Kernel …installing Kali as we speak… crossing my fingers…

I followed this gitrepo

1 Like

I appreciate you posting this latest solution! I switched to the 5.18.x kernel, did apt updates, and ran the script debian-vmware-host-modules-builder-cli.sh which built the modules successfully.

1 Like