ParrotOS Architect Stuck during installation

Greetings,

I am currently trying to install Parrot OS Architect in order to customize my Parrot OS experience to the maximum. It is not the first time I am using Parrot OS (around July 2020) and I’m using it quite a lot in my daily life.

However, Parrot OS architect had issues during the first time I tried it a few months ago preventing me to actually contact any of the servers, so I tried again today.

During my installation, everything seems fine, I can format my partition just fine. However, what’s after that step is what is preventing me to continue installing it:

It says it’s preparing to configure parrot-core (amd64), and doesn’t want to move further. I’ve waited hours thinking it’d take some time, but according to some videos around, it shouldn’t.

However, I’ve noticed after changing screen (CTRL+ALT+F4) that it is stuck on a input prompt. However, even if accepting or changing doesn’t change anything…

I am using Parrot-architect-5.0.1_amd64.iso. I tried it on my VirtualBox, VMWare or my laptop for experiments, and the issue never changes.

Thanks in advance!

Ch0wW

3 Likes

Thank you for the report. This is the problem when package installation asks user to select config (from stdin) and the installer which uses GUI can’t do it. I am reporting it to Palinuro

1 Like

Greetings, problem solved?

No it’s not yet because it’s the problem of apt itself. But we are going to release new version really soon. Hopefully we can solve this problem.

1 Like

Hi, do you have news about this issue?
Thanks in advance!!

I finally found the problem and the solution

1. First thing first, the installer creates chroot environment and install packages to it, via either network or boot image
  2. For the network installer (parrot architecture), it invokes /bin/apt-install, which belong to Debian-installer-utils
  3. The script runs apt install inside chroot environment with flags -y -q
  4. Problem: the -y means force-yes but it doesn’t do that when package needs user to confirm new configuration file which caused this bug. Luckily, we can use Dpkg::Options to force the installer to keep old config file[s] or install the new ones (Thank to this answer ubuntu - Automatically keep current version of config files when apt-get install - Server Fault)

I and Palinuro is having a disagreement on this. Palinuro wants simple “fix” by rebuild the ISO only with latest packages and I want to make a patch (the solution in 4) to debian-installer-utils so Parrot can avoid this problem in the future. We are working on it to find the final solution.

2 Likes

Many thanks for the response and the effort to fix it!
Am a Mac/ARM user, so I really appreciate your support :slight_smile:

Well! It’s our job so we don’t get food if we don’t fix it :rofl:
Joking aside, it wasn’t very easy for us because we reused the package from Debian and non of us touched the source code level of the installer (or more accurate: many parts of installer. Palinuro modified the core for Parrot ofc). So it took a while and a lot of energy to spot the exact location. It wasn’t easy nor fun.

Hope fully we can release the next version soon. We except the first beta build in next week.

2 Likes

Hi guys, any news about this issue?
Thanks in advance!!

I also have this issue on my 32-bit systems. Is there any workaround available for the installation?

Hi to all! I found a walk-around to avoid the issue and have ParrotOS 5.0.1 installed over ARM. I hope it works for you too. In the past, I tried to do the same but had some issues with the network, but now all works well! (I think was fixed with the last update of parallels :slight_smile: )

1. Go through installation of the base system
  2. When prompted with “Scan extra installation media?”, Press on “Go Back”
  3. Select “Install the GRUB boot loader”
  4. Finish the installation

This will install the bare bones of ParrotOS. Now to get the full experience, you’ll need to install the Desktop Environment followed by the tools.

Once the installation is done, it’ll restart the VM.

1. Log into ParrotOS
  2. Check to see if you have network access by typing in the command ping www.google.com
  3. If you get a response, then you can skip to step 7, otherwise continue onto step 4 to configure your network.
  4. Identify your network interface, the command is ip addr, this will list your network interfaces. Look for something that has link/ether underneath it, mine was enp0s5.
  5. Run sudo dhclient enp0s5 to configure your network interface
  6. Check #2 again, you should get a response.
  7. Install the default desktop environment, sudo apt update && sudo apt install parrot-desktop-mate
  8. Install all the tools, sudo apt install parrot-tools-full
  9. Restart with sudo reboot

1 Like

Thank you! :+1:

Any news/update on this?

Can we expect a fixed version anytime soon?

Does anybody know if this is fixed in 5.1?

As far as I know, it seems to work this time. I’ve been able to successfully get my desktop.

Thanks for solving the issue!

I’m curious to know if you ended up with a usable system. After installing the tools on Parallels 18, ParrotOS (5.1 KDE) will often freeze with the VM CPU indicator pinned to 100%.

I was able to install 5.1 Architect on a 32-bit system today. So far everything works great.

willnout, I have been enjoying my new install for parrot os 5.1 with the m1 pro chip in apple virtualization framework on the macOS 13 beta. (especially when Virtual box did not allow install on a armbased mac) When I attempted to install the original apt issue in 5.0 was resolved but during graphical install after selecting the rest of the operating to download and install it hanged on … (thought I took a screenshot :frowning: ) something icons unpacking. So when that occurred, I had to delete the container and redo the install with the steps from you, I followed the steps to install the base package and then installed the desktop environment. and the rest of the applications.
Thank you for the awesome instructions. This also helped on a windows virtual box instance also.

im stuck on step 7 right now it keeps on saying “unable to locate package parrot-desktop-mate”

Hi Tera_byte as a quick check, see if you can download sudo apt install traceroute (depending on packages installed or if skipped, traceroute might need to be installed manually. --This was true in my case) This is not a requirement to set up the desktop environment but a small test to see if your repository is working.

Next command that can be utilized is sudo apt list | grep parrot-desktop the following should come up on screen

The screenshot also shows different desktop environments that can be installed. Hope that helps.